Re: how to "pg_dump", based in select command - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Tolley
Subject Re: how to "pg_dump", based in select command
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 7/3/07, Jeferson Kasper <jefersonkasper@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello folks.
> I want to know how to dump some parts of a database?
> I need to extract the records in a "select * from table" and the pg_dump or
> other tool will create a file with the records found in this "select
> command", and after this, i will restore this file in another database with
> the same structure.
> Any idea?
> Thanks people.
>
> Jeferson Kasper

In 8.2 you can use the COPY command with a query, as in COPY (SELECT
...) TO 'filename'

In earlier versions, one alternative is to create a table filled with
the results of your query and pg_dump it. Alternatively you might also
pipe the query into psql and pipe the output to a file, use psql's \o
option, etc.

-Josh