Is there any reason why databases cannot have a binary formatted datatype? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Maclean
Subject Is there any reason why databases cannot have a binary formatted datatype?
Date
Re: Is there any reason why databases cannot have a binary formatted datatype?  (Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>)
List pgsql-general
Can't we have a data type called say "image" that is just a
representation of the bytes and nothing else?
It seems to me that bytea is a hangover from the old days.

Is there some underlying physical reason why postgresql and other
databases cannot handle binary data without going through all this
silly escape stuff which must have a massive impact on performance. Or
is it just because databases originally were built to handle just test
data?

Let's have a good discussion on this and perhaps an outcome for easier
handling of binary data.

I have a reason for this. I want to be able to easily store maps and
programs that are transmitted to devices in the field.

Regards
   Andrew

Andrew J. P. Maclean
Centre for Autonomous Systems