Re: [GENERAL] Result of timestamp - timestamp - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Result of timestamp - timestamp
Date
List pgsql-general
On 02/05/2017 01:21 PM, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just stumbled about a report that has been running for a long time now
> and that relied on the fact that the interval "timestamp - timestamp"
> always returns an interval with days, hours, minutes. But never a
> "justified" interval with years, months, days and so on.

According to the docs:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/functions-datetime.html

"Subtraction of date or timestamp values with the "-" operator returns
the number of days (24-hours) and hours/minutes/seconds between the
values, making the same adjustments."

It should always return days and hours.

> The query usees "extract(day from timestamp - timestamp)" which is
> working fine, but would apparently fail if a justified interval was
> returned

Did that happen?

--
Adrian Klaver