[Review] Tests citext casts by David Wheeler. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ryan Bradetich
Subject [Review] Tests citext casts by David Wheeler.
Date
Re: [Review] Tests citext casts by David Wheeler.  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hello all,

Here is my review of the Test citext casts written by David Wheeler:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/F721EFF1-553C-4E25-A293-7BD08D6957F4@kineticode.com

1. The patch applies cleanly to the latest GIT repository.

2. The citext type installs, uninstalls, and re-installs cleanly.

3. The coding style is mostly consistent with the existing code.   The only coding style difference I noticed was
introducedin this patch:

   In the citext.sql.in file the following functions are created using the   non-dollar quoting syntax:       *
regex_matches      * regexp_replace       * regexp_split_to_array       * regexp_split_to table       * strpos

   In the citext.sql.in file the following functions are created using the   dollar quoting syntax:        * replay
  * split_part        * translate

   I do not have a strong preference either way and I do not even care if   they are consistent.  I am interested to
seeif there was a reason for   using both syntaxes for these functions.

4. The regression tests successfully pass when PostgreSQL is built with   --with-libxml.   They fail when the
PostgreSQLis built without

--with-libxml.
   Since the default PostgreSQL configuration does not include --with-libxml   and is not run-time detected when the
libxml2libraries are present on   the system I would recommend adding an additional expected output   file
(citext_1.out)that covers the conditions when PostgreSQL is compiled   without --with-libxml.

   As an experiment, I was able to add the citext_1.out and the
regression tests   passed with and without the --with-libxml option.
   Review of the additional regression tests show they provide coverage of the   new casts and functions added with
thispatch.

Overall I think the patch looks good.   After reviewing the patch, I
played with
citext for an hour or so and I did not encounter any bugs or other surprises.

Thanks,

- Ryan