Re: Build with LTO / -flto on macOS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Wolfgang Walther
Subject Re: Build with LTO / -flto on macOS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut:
> On 04.06.24 18:41, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Relevant to this: I wonder what we think the supported macOS versions
>> are, anyway.  AFAICS, the buildfarm only covers current (Sonoma)
>> and current-1 (Ventura) major versions, and only the latest minor
>> versions in those OS branches.
>
> For other OS lines I think we are settling on supporting what the OS
> vendor supports.  So for macOS at the moment this would be current,
> current-1, and current-2, per
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_version_history#Releases>.

So I tested both HEAD and v12 on current and current-5, both successful.
That should cover current-1 and current-2, too. If you want me to test
any other macOS versions inbetween, or any other PG versions, I can do that.

I would really like to upstream those kind of patches and see them
backpatched - otherwise we need to carry around those patches for up to
5 years in the distros. And in light of the discussion in [1] my goal is
to reduce the number of patches carried to a minimum. Yes - those
patches are simple enough - but the more patches you have, the less
likely you are going to spot a malicious patch inbetween.

Best,

Wolfgang

[1]: https://postgr.es/m/flat/ZgdCpFThi9ODcCsJ%40momjian.us