Re: Table design question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From codeWarrior
Subject Re: Table design question
Date
List pgsql-sql
I never use anything other than "id SERIAL NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY" for my
PKEY's -- as an absolute rule -- I guess I am a purist...  Everything else
(the other columns) can have unique constraints, etcetera and be FOREIGN
KEYS, etc...

Try INSERTING your 100 character "natural" key into a table with 10M++ rows
only to find out there there is already a duplicate.... talk about a
performance hit.... or SELECT -- you end up using way too much RAM and
bandwidth -- unecessarily...

IMHO: You ought to use a numeric, auto-generated sequence (SERIAL) for you
PKEY's ...