Re: DocBook 5.2 - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: DocBook 5.2
Date
List pgsql-docs
On 06.09.24 10:50, Jürgen Purtz wrote:
> For the PG community I would like to raise the question: Do we need
> DocBook in the distro of any operating system? In the past we developed
> some stylesheets to adopt DocBook to our needs. They are part of PG's
> distro and refer to the standard with statements like <xsl:import
> href="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/xxxx/docbook.xsl"/>. With the migration to db5.x the links
changeto <xsl:import href="http://cdn.docbook.org/release/xsl/1.79.2/xxxx/docbook.xsl"/>. Hence we don't need any
additionallocal stylesheet outside of our own distro. Concerning DTD/schema/relax-ng: In db5.2 there is no DTD nor a
XML-schema,for validation we need only the Relax-NG file 'docbook.rng'. This file is available at
https://docs.oasis-open.org/docbook/docbook/v5.2/os/rng/docbook.rng(during the conversion-process I used a local
copy).

> I assume we don't need any operating system distro of DocBook. Please
> correct me, if I'm wrong.

Note that we run xsltproc with the --nonet option.  So stylesheet and
schema need to be available as local files.  Downloading these
on-the-fly during the build process has been found to be unreliable, and
it's also not sound software supply chain hygiene.