Re: Crash in pgCrypto? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marko Kreen
Subject Re: Crash in pgCrypto?
Date
Re: Crash in pgCrypto?  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 6/16/08, Mario Weilguni <mweilguni@sime.com> wrote:
> Marko Kreen schrieb:
> > On 6/16/08, Mario Weilguni <mweilguni@sime.com> wrote:
> > > Could someone using the pgcrypto extension please verify this?
> > >
> > >  SELECT encode(digest(null, 'md5'::text), 'hex');
> > >  or
> > >  SELECT digest(null, 'md5');
> > >
> > >  Takes a few seconds, and then crashes the server with a Signal 11. My
> > > system is PostgreSQL 8.2.7. Seems to be an unchecked access to memory
> > > location 0.
> >
> > Seems you loaded pgcrypto function signatures from dump (from 8.0).
> >

> http://marc.info/?l=postgresql-general&m=118794006505296&w=2
> >
> > Recreate the functions with pgcrypto.sql.
> >
>  Yes, this is what I did, and it happened during update from 8.0 --> 8.2.
> But that brings me to another problem, what is the best way to create
> backups with pgdump so that stuff from contrib is not dumped, but recreated
> from the newer version?

Good question...  Seems the proper support for modules will not
leave todo-list any time soon.

Only way that works now is to add any module .sql to template0, so
they would not be dumped out.  So you are forced to recreate them
properly on newer version.  (By adding them to template0 again.)

--
marko