Re: pgcrypto sha256/384/512 don't work on Redhat. Please help! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marko Kreen
Subject Re: pgcrypto sha256/384/512 don't work on Redhat. Please help!
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/9/06, Joe Kramer <cckramer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, but I need it to work out-of-the-box, with standard installation of
> RedHat or Gentoo and standard PostgreSQL rpm.
>
>  I am developing application with PortgreSQL and I can't tell customer to
> "Recompile PostgreSQL and see if it works then try to use non-openssl
> pgcrypto or try to compile openSSL 0.9.8."
>
>  Pgcrypto depends on OpenSSL 0.9.8. And 0.9.8 is not "Stable" in RedHat and
> Gentoo. So you need to recompile pgcrypto/openssl anyway if you want to use
> it. Can I report this in PostgreSQL bug system?

What bug are you refering to?  Only bug that I can see is the
symbol-conflict problem, but as 8.1 pgcrypto uses always same
setting as core postgres, it should not be a big deal.

The fact that Fedora pgcrypto is linked with OpenSSL that does not
support SHA256 is not a bug, just a fact.

OTOH, the nicest solution to your problem would be self-compiled
pgcrypto, that would work with stock PostgreSQL.  As the conflict
happens with only (new) SHA2 functions, I can prepare a patch for
symbol conflict, would that be satisfactory for you?

--
marko