Re: [Proposal] vacuumdb --schema only - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gilles Darold
Subject Re: [Proposal] vacuumdb --schema only
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Le 04/03/2022 à 11:56, Justin Pryzby a écrit :
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2022 at 10:11:28AM +0100, Gilles Darold wrote:
>> The attached patch implements that. Option -n | --schema can be used
>> multiple time and can not be used together with options -a or -t.
> Yes, thanks.
>
> I suggest there should also be an --exclude-schema.

Ok, I will add it too.

>> I do not propose to extend the VACUUM and ANALYZE commands because their
>> current syntax doesn't allow me to see an easy way to do that
> I think this would be easy with the parenthesized syntax.
> I'm not suggesting to do it there, though.

Yes this is what I've though, something a la EXPLAIN, for example :
"VACUUM (ANALYZE, SCHEMA foo)" but this is a change in the VACUUM syntax
that needs to keep the compatibility with the current syntax. We will
have two syntax something like "VACUUM ANALYZE FULL dbname" and "VACUUM
(ANALYZE, FULL) dbname". The other syntax "problem" is to be able to use
multiple schema values in the VACUUM command, perhaps "VACUUM (ANALYZE,
SCHEMA (foo,bar))".

>> +    /*
>> +     * When filtereing on schema name, filter by table is not allowed.
>> +     * The schema name can already be set in a fqdn table name.
> set *to*

Thanks, will be fixed in next patch version.

--
Gilles Darold