Re: new stored procedure with OUT parameters - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: new stored procedure with OUT parameters
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/16/18 11:33 AM, Anton Shen wrote:
> Thanks for the thoughts. The part I'm missing is that why procedures
> with OUT param 'will not be called from SQL environments'?

Pretty sure Pavel was referring to:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/xfunc-sql.html#XFUNC-OUTPUT-PARAMETERS

"Notice that output parameters are not included in the calling argument
list when invoking such a function from SQL. This is because PostgreSQL
considers only the input parameters to define the function's calling
signature. ..."

 From this commit:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=e4128ee767df3c8c715eb08f8977647ae49dfb59

"SQL procedures

This adds a new object type "procedure" that is similar to a function
but does not have a return type and is invoked by the new CALL statement
instead of SELECT or similar.

While this commit is mainly syntax sugar around existing functionality,
future features will rely on having procedures as a separate object
type."

I read this to mean that since SQL functions don't have OUT in the
signature at this time, SQL procedures do not either.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com