Re: psycopg2.DataError: invalid input syntax for integer: "" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: psycopg2.DataError: invalid input syntax for integer: ""
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/07/2018 12:28 AM, tango ward wrote:
> I think I've found the culprit of the problem.
>
> I have a field which is varchar from the source DB while on the
> destination DB its integer.
>
> Reading the documentation:
> http://www.postgresqltutorial.com/postgresql-cast/ but it gives me error
> `psycopg2.DataError: invalid input syntax for integer: ""`

Would need to see your code to be sure, but I am gong to guess you are
trying to CAST the string to integer in the SQL e.g CAST(some_str_value
AS INTEGER) or some_str_value::integer. The error you are getting is :

test=# select CAST('' AS INTEGER);
ERROR:  invalid input syntax for integer: ""
LINE 1: select CAST('' AS INTEGER);
                     ^
test=# select ''::integer;
ERROR:  invalid input syntax for integer: ""
LINE 1: select ''::integer;

Two options:

1) You will need the catch the '' on the Python side before they get to
the database and turn them into None(if Nulls allowed in column) or 0
otherwise.

2) If possible convert the integer column on the destination db to a
varchar one. Though I would do some investigation before doing this as
this may very well mess up other code.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com