Re: How to do an UPDATE for all the fields that do NOT break a constraint? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Phoenix Kiula
Subject Re: How to do an UPDATE for all the fields that do NOT break a constraint?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 9:45 PM, Matthias Karlsson <matthias@yacc.se> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Phoenix Kiula <phoenix.kiula@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I wonder if this is an SQL limitation or something I'm missing in the
>> PG manual, but I need to run an update on my database (to replace the
>> value of a column to match a new design structure).
>>
>> Due to the new business logic, the  replaced value of a field may end
>> up being already present in the database in another record. This leads
>> to unique key violations when I run the update.
>>
>> My question: I don't mind if the update transaction skips the records
>> where the key would be violated (this preservation is in fact what we
>> want) but these are only about 2% of the overall updatable records.
>>
>> Is there anyway to make the transaction go through with the remaining
>> 98% of the update SQL which will in fact NOT violate the unique
>> constraint?
>>
>> --
>>

> You could always extend your update statement to include an additional
> check to see if there are already rows present with the same value in
> the field you are talking about.
>
> // Matthias

Thanks Matthias, but this seems a little recursive to me and I don't
know how to do the SQL.

Here is my SQL thus far. The table is "testimonials". Basically the
column "user_alias" needs to be replaced to delete any mention of a
user's "api_key". Both of these are fields in the same table, hence
the replace logic below.

As you will also see, based on our business logic, I have already kept
all the related IDs in a separate small table called
"testimonials_temp". This should speed up the process quite a bit
because instead of going through 5 million IDs, we just loop through
around 400,000.

update testimonials
set user_alias = replace(user_alias, '-'||api_key, '')
where
  id in (select id from testimonials_temp)
;

The problem is that after being replaced like that the "user_alias"
column has a problem, because some user_aliases already exist. How
should I add a check condition recursively? I tried this:

update testimonials
set user_alias = replace(user_alias, '-'||api_key, '')
where
      id in (select id from testimonials_temp)
 and replace(user_alias, '-'||api_key, '') not in (select user_alias
from links where user_alias = ?????))
;

Hope I have explained this clearly. Would appreciate any ideas!