Re: Strange inconsistency with UPDATE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Phoenix Kiula
Subject Re: Strange inconsistency with UPDATE
Date
List pgsql-general
> I suspect you're not showing us the exact queries you're running. For
> one, you can't have a table named TABLE (without quotes) in PostgreSQL.

Of course. The data is a tad private, hence the simple table and
column names represented in uppercase.

> Perhaps something else you changed when changing the table name,
> maybe to simplify the appearance of the query, affects the results
> you're seeing. Things appear to work as expected on my end.

Except for the name of the table and the column, everything is exactly
the same as the queries I'm running. I just pasted those things into a
text editor and find-replaced mytable to "TABLE" and mycolumn to
"COLUMN". (Note: mytable and mycolumn are also aliases for posting to
a public forum).

The problem remains. The other tip -- to loop through each record and
update it -- is precisely what I was trying to escape with a simple
SQL query that seems fairly standard.