Re: Moving to postgresql and some ignorant questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Phoenix Kiula
Subject Re: Moving to postgresql and some ignorant questions
Date
List pgsql-general
Thank you AM. Very useful note, must appreciate the info you shared.

About COPY, I have two simple questions:

1. Is there anything like an ALTER DATABASE command? I would like to
change the character set without having to recreate the DATABASE
again!

2. Also, when I do a mysqldump I seem to be ending up with "\r" in my
lines, or so the COPY command tells me:

    ERROR:  literal carriage return found in data
    HINT:  Use "\r" to represent carriage return.
    CONTEXT:  COPY links, line 962974

But afaik, there is nothing in my data in MySQL that contains the new
line characters! I have checked and rechecked in the DB to find such
characters. I cannot open that text file to check because it contains
a lot of data (from about 7 million records). So I tried to do a "grep
'\r' FILENAME" but that doesn't help either because of course there is
a newline character, that is what is used to separate a line!  Is
there anything else I can do to make sure mysqldump data comes
through? Perhaps separate fields by TABS and lines by a specific
character such as "`"?

TIA for any thoughts.