Re: New system recommendations - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From William Yu
Subject Re: New system recommendations
Date
List pgsql-admin
Benjamin Krajmalnik wrote:
> We are currently inserting about 1 million rows per day, and will
> increase to probably 5 million once it goes into full deployment.
>
> It is currently running on a 3GHz Xeon HT, 2GB RAM, dual 72GB disks
> running RAID 1.  This server is a 1U without only 2 drive bays, so I
> have a potential issue with drive space.
>
> As a result, I will be moving the db server to a Dell 1650 with 3 146GB
> SCSI drives running RAID 0.  System is a dual processor, 1.2GHz, with
> 4GB RAM.

I'm assuming you've already optimized your code with all the necessary
tricks for maximum insert/update performance because your disk upgrade
plan is rather underwhelming. 3X the disk bandwidth (3dr-RAID0 versus
2dr-RAID1) won't even keep pace with your expected 5X increased volume.
Anytime you do a system upgrade, you always have to plan to handle many
times the current projected volume so you don't have to upgrade yet
again next year.

Go nuts -- get as many disks as you can afford. Get as much onboard
cache as you can afford. If number of drive bays is an issue, I'd get a
separate case/rackmount and run external scsi/sata cables to it.