[HACKERS] Possible problem in Custom Scan API - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dmitry Ivanov
Subject [HACKERS] Possible problem in Custom Scan API
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi hackers,

I'm struggling to understand one particular thing about Custom Scan API.

As you may know, there's a function called use_physical_tlist(), which aims
to eliminate meaningless projections during query execution. Any scan node
(e.g. CustomScan) aims to take advantage of physical targetlists... except
for the IndexOnlyScan (for obvious reasons):

createplan.c, create_scan_plan():

if (use_physical_tlist(root, best_path, flags))
{if (best_path->pathtype == T_IndexOnlyScan){    /* For index-only scan, the preferred tlist is the index's */    tlist
=copyObject(((IndexPath *) best_path)->indexinfo->indextlist);    ...}
}

In theory, CustomScans should be able to use any Plan nodes (i.e.
'custom_plans' list), but as far as I can understand, there's no way to
override behavior of use_physical_tlist(), which means that we might see
something like this:

ERROR:  variable not found in subplan target list

if we use child IndexOnlyScan and the index does not include some of the
relation's columns.

Is there any existing workaround?

--
Dmitry Ivanov