Re: MCV lists for highly skewed distributions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: MCV lists for highly skewed distributions
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 03/17/2018 07:28 PM, Dean Rasheed wrote:
> On 16 March 2018 at 15:26, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Actually, one question - when deciding whether to keep the item in the
>> MCV list, analyze_mcv_list only compares it's frequency with an average
>> of the rest. But as we're removing items from the MCV list, the average
>> frequency of the non-MCV items is growing (we're removing items with
>> higher and higher frequencies). That means the estimates for the least
>> common items will get higher and higher - essentially overestimates. So,
>> couldn't/shouldn't analyze_mcv_list consider this too?
>>

> Yes, that's the intention. At the start, sumcount is set to the count
> of all but the last (least common) MCV item, so it can estimate the
> frequency of the non-MCV items if the last MCV item were to be
> removed. Then each time through the loop, sumcount is decreased by the
> removed item's count, increasing the estimated frequency of the
> non-MCV items accordingly.

I know it's updated like that, but that's not quite what I meant. Sorry
for not making the question clearer, so let me rephrase it.

Currently, analyze_mcv_list only checks if the frequency of the current
item is significantly higher than the non-MCV selectivity. My question
is if it shouldn't also consider if removing the item from MCV would not
increase the non-MCV selectivity too much.

But perhaps that would be a silly idea, because the non-MCV items may
also be seen as a random noise.

regards