Re: postgresql-10.3 on unbuntu-17.10 - how?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stuart McGraw
Subject Re: postgresql-10.3 on unbuntu-17.10 - how??
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/20/2018 09:46 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 03/20/2018 08:23 AM, Stuart McGraw wrote:
>> I recently installed Ubuntu-17.10 and then discovered that
>> Postgresql from the Pgdg repos is only supported on Ubuntu LTS
>> releases (eg 16.04).  However info on the internet said pg-10
>> could be installed from Pgdg zesty repo, which with some package
>> version conflicts, I was able to do so and have a functional
>> pg-10.1 install.
>>
>> However I need to upgrade to 10.3 and the normal "apt update;
>> apt upgrade" does not offer 10.3.  Also, doing a fresh install
>> still installs 10.1.
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt
> "2018-01-17: Ubuntu zesty (17.04) is unsupported now, Ubuntu removed it from their mirrors "
>

>> Is Pgdg 10.3 even available for ubuntu 17.10?  How the heck does
>> one upgrade to it?
>
> 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver)?:
>
> http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/dists/bionic-pgdg/

I tried doing a full reinstall of Ubuntu-17.10 followed by a postgresql
install from the bionic repo (instead of installing 10.1 per above and
trying to upgrade)

   # apt-get -qy install postgresql postgresql-client postgresql-contrib \
       postgresql-doc pgadmin3 postgresql-server-dev-10 libpq-dev
   Reading package lists...
   Building dependency tree...
   Reading state information...
   or been moved out of Incoming.

    libpq-dev : Depends: libpq5 (= 10.3-1.pgdg18.04+1) but it is not going to be installed
    pgadmin3 : Depends: libgcrypt20 (>= 1.8.0) but 1.7.8-2ubuntu1 is to be installed
               Depends: libpq5 (>= 8.4~) but it is not going to be installed
               Recommends: pgagent but it is not going to be installed
    postgresql : Depends: postgresql-10 but it is not going to be installed
    postgresql-client : Depends: postgresql-client-10
    postgresql-contrib : Depends: postgresql-contrib-10

Is there any reason now not to conclude that the 10.3 bionic version is
simply incompatible with Ubuntu-17.10 (at least without a lot more package
wrangling chops than I have)?

One can install postgresql-10.1 but one cannot upgrade it to get security
fixes or to be able to load data dumped from another 10.3 database.

Given that Ubuntu-18.04 will be out soon I guess this is pretty much moot
except for a few unfortunates like me who absolutely need 10.3 but have no
option to upgrade.  I guess the lesson is that running the Pgdg versions
of Postgresql on any but the LTS versions of Ubuntu is pretty risky.
Live and learn.  Maybe this will help someone else.