Re: Statically linking against libpq - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Statically linking against libpq
Date
List pgsql-odbc
On 07/06/2016 11:01 PM, Johnny Yan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're building the postgres odbc driver by ourselves for our
> customers on Linux. It builds against hence depends on libpq.so.
> We're wondering if there is a secret configure flag to statically
> link against libpq such that the final psqlodbcw.so has less
> dependencies and in particular doesn't depend on libpq.so.

There's no such flag, currently.

One option is to create a temporary installation of libpq, with just the
static library. The linker will use the static library, if it can't find
a shared one. Something along the lines of:

mkdir static-libpq
mkdir static-libpq/lib
ln -s `pg_config --libdir`/libpq.a static-libpq/lib/libpq.a
ln -s `pg_config --includedir` static-libpq/include

./configure --with-libpq=static-libpq ...

Assuming your libpq is built with OpenSSL, though, you'll also need to
pass LDFLAGS="-lssl -lcrypto" to make the configure test pass. The
resulting ODBC driver will still need libssl and libcrypto as shared
libraries, if built that way.

There might be a more straightforward way to do that, with suitable
linked flags, but I don't know how.

> Also if there is no such config flag yet, are you guys planning to
> add one?

No such plans. If you want to write a patch, and it's not too
complicated, I wouldn't mind adding it, thouhg.

- Heikki