ROLE INHERIT - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Legault
Subject ROLE INHERIT
Date
Re: ROLE INHERIT  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I'm a bit new to Postgre, and I'm experimenting with the roles stuff.

I want to know why If I create a role called "administrator" (a group basically, no login) :

CREATE ROLE administrator NOSUPERUSER INHERIT NOCREATEDB CREATEROLE;

And then create a user

CREATE ROLE admin LOGIN PASSWORD 'password' ON ROLE administrator;

admin doesn't have the CREATEROLE privilege himself, but because he is part of a group that has it, why doesn't this fall back on him having it?

When I try to use that admin user to create another role, it says insufficient privileges.

Am I missing something in this role stuff ?

Thanks

David