Re: ordered aggregates using WITHIN GROUP (was Re: can somebody execute this query on Oracle 11.2g and send result?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hitoshi Harada
Subject Re: ordered aggregates using WITHIN GROUP (was Re: can somebody execute this query on Oracle 11.2g and send result?)
Date
In response to Re: ordered aggregates using WITHIN GROUP (was Re: can somebody execute this query on Oracle 11.2g and send result?)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
2010/2/1 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
> Hitoshi Harada <umi.tanuki@gmail.com> writes:
>> In other words, the queries can be the same:
>
>> SELECT array_agg(val ORDER BY sk) FROM ...
>> SELECT array_agg(val) WITHIN GROUP (ORDER BY sk) FROM ...
>
> One more time: THOSE DON'T MEAN THE SAME THING.  If we ever get
> around to implementing the hypothetical set functions, we would
> be very unhappy to have introduced such a bogus equivalence.

I completely agree. Although Oracle's syntax can express ordered
aggregate, by introducing such syntax now it will be quite complicated
to implement hypothetical functions for those syntactic restrictions
and design in the future.

Regards,

--
Hitoshi Harada