Re: temporal version of generate_series() - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From H.Harada
Subject Re: temporal version of generate_series()
Date
List pgsql-patches
2008/5/1 H. Harada <umi.tanuki@gmail.com>:
> 2008/5/1 Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>:
>
> > Hello
>  >
>  >  why you don't use polymorphic types?
>  Ah, good idea. I didn't think we could fix the third argument to
>  "interval" but "anyelement".
>  For a temporal version, it's reasonable.

I was thinking about it again. There are 3 points:

a. It will get complicated in the function to resolve operator for
polymorphic types, including search for namespace and error (not
found) handling.
b. Other temporal data types than timestamp is easy to be casted from
timestamp results.
c. In the integer version of generate_series also it is possible to
cast the results to other numerical types though harder to cast them
to temporal data types.

So it would be better to keep current patch, isn't it?

postgres=# select generate_series('2008/05/01 20:00'::timestamp,
'2008/05/02 08:00'::timestamp
, '1 hour'::interval);
   generate_series
---------------------
 2008-05-01 20:00:00
 2008-05-01 21:00:00
 2008-05-01 22:00:00
 2008-05-01 23:00:00
 2008-05-02 00:00:00
 2008-05-02 01:00:00
 2008-05-02 02:00:00
 2008-05-02 03:00:00
 2008-05-02 04:00:00
 2008-05-02 05:00:00
 2008-05-02 06:00:00
 2008-05-02 07:00:00
 2008-05-02 08:00:00
(13 rows)

postgres=# select generate_series('2008/05/01 20:00'::timestamp,
'2008/05/02 08:00'::timestamp
, '1 hour'::interval)::time;
 generate_series
-----------------
 20:00:00
 21:00:00
 22:00:00
 23:00:00
 00:00:00
 01:00:00
 02:00:00
 03:00:00
 04:00:00
 05:00:00
 06:00:00
 07:00:00
 08:00:00
(13 rows)

postgres=# select generate_series('2008/05/01 20:00'::timestamp,
'2008/05/02 08:00'::timestamp
, '1 hour'::interval)::timestamptz;
    generate_series
------------------------
 2008-05-01 20:00:00+09
 2008-05-01 21:00:00+09
 2008-05-01 22:00:00+09
 2008-05-01 23:00:00+09
 2008-05-02 00:00:00+09
 2008-05-02 01:00:00+09
 2008-05-02 02:00:00+09
 2008-05-02 03:00:00+09
 2008-05-02 04:00:00+09
 2008-05-02 05:00:00+09
 2008-05-02 06:00:00+09
 2008-05-02 07:00:00+09
 2008-05-02 08:00:00+09
(13 rows)

postgres=# select generate_series('2008/05/01 20:00'::timestamp,
'2008/05/02 08:00'::timestamp
, '1 hour'::interval)::date;
 generate_series
-----------------