Re: BUG #2167: Performance degradation - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Qingqing Zhou
Subject Re: BUG #2167: Performance degradation
Date
List pgsql-bugs
""Sunil Basu"" <sunil.basu@esspl.com> wrote

> Previously I used to insert records into the postgresql database
> unconditionally. That is everytime a data comes it is stored in the
> postgresql. So I land up with some redundant data always.
> But the operation was smooth and near about 600 records could be inserted
> per second.
>
> Now I have made a check in the postgresql database that whether a record
> exists depending on criteria which is set as per the index order defined
> for
> my postgre table. I used a sql "Select 1 from ... where ..." statement for
> checking in the postgresql.
> Depending on the record count from the select query, I decide whether to
> insert or to update.
> Now I have noticed a considerable degradation in performance. Now near
> about
> 60-75 records can be updated/inserted per second.

A performance degradation is expected because your new program do two more
things: query the index and maintain the index. But I am not sure how much.
Your method will not work if you do the insertition concurrently. There are
alternatives to prevent duplicates: (1) build a unique index on the
attributes and let PostgreSQL to prevent duplicates; (2) do it later in a
batch since your PostgreSQL is a backup - after you insert a lot of data
with some duplates, do a "INSERT INTO another_table SELECT DISTINCT FROM
this_table ...".

Regards,
Qingqing