Re: Best way to use indexes for partial match at beginning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrus
Subject Re: Best way to use indexes for partial match at beginning
Date
List pgsql-general
>> CREATE TABLE foo ( bar CHAR(10)  PRIMARY KEY);
>>
>> Cluster locale is non-C. Database encoding is UTF-8. Postgres vers is 8.1

>Do this instead:

>CREATE TABLE foo ( bar CHAR(10) NOT NULL );
>CREATE UNIQUE INDEX foo_bar ON foo(bar char_pattern_ops);

Martijn,

Thank you. I have CHAR columns and need a primary key also. So I tried the
code

CREATE TABLE foo ( bar CHAR(10) NOT NULL );
CREATE UNIQUE INDEX foo_bar ON foo(bar bpchar_pattern_ops);
ALTER TABLE foo ADD PRIMARY KEY (bar);

I found that adding primary key creates another index.

How to create primary key without duplicate index on bar column ?

Andrus.