left join a parenthesised inner join group - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sim Zacks
Subject left join a parenthesised inner join group
Date
List pgsql-general
I tried the following code and was very suprised this didn't work the way I
had expected it to. Is my expectation correct or the way that it implements
it correct?

select * from a left join
( b join c on b.f1=c.f1 join d on d.f2=c.f2 join e on e.f3=d.f3) on
a.f4=b.f4

I would like it to have all the rows from a left joined with the total inner
join of the rest.
It actually performs it as if I did not have parenthesis at all and had the
inner join connected to the left outer join thereby excluding all rows that
do not have a match from b to c

Thank You
Sim