Question regarding pg_restore - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Wye Jon Lee
Subject Question regarding pg_restore
Date
List pgsql-novice
This is my first post to ANY mailing list so apologies in advance if I
screw up anywhere.

I'm using the pg_restore utility in PostgreSQL 8.0.3 with the following command:

pg_restore.exe -i -h localhost -p 5432 -U "username" -d databasename
-v "outputfile.backup"

pg_restore prompts me for a password and no matter what I key in it
fails my login.  Looking at the pg_hba.conf file, I find my settings
configured as:

host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5

It looks to me that the pg_restore program is expecting me to enter an
MD5 sum as the password.  Due to the limitiation of my project's
requirement I'm not allowed to meddle with the pg_hba.conf file.  Does
anyone know the correct method to generate an MD5 hash for the
password so that I may pass it in to pg_dump using the command line?

Regards.

--
visit my blog: http://wp.peachjon.com