Re: Data loss, vacuum, transaction wrap-around - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff
Subject Re: Data loss, vacuum, transaction wrap-around
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Feb 20, 2005, at 11:02 AM, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> My last company's experience with Oracle support still leaves me
> questioning that claim.  They basically got "don't do that then or
> move to
> the newest major revision" when they had a construct which caused the
> server to stop responding.

For the record, that is the kind of support I've got from Informix in
the past.
Even for issues where the db would reliably return invalid results.

What is great is I have one informix db that I cannot take a backup of
without causing several DAYS of downtime.   Their solution: Do an
in-place upgrade and hope it works.  Yes, they actually said "And
hopefully it will work. You'll need to take a backup to be safe" "But I
can't take a backup.  That is the point of this call" "Oh, well...
umm.. it SHOULD work!"

you get the idea.

as for the xid wraparound... issuing a NOTICE / ERROR in a new version
will be good, but backpatching won't be needed.  As others have said,
the people who really need this are not smart enough to upgrade / watch
for patches / RTFM

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/