Re: Reducing bandwidth usage of database replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ben Chobot
Subject Re: Reducing bandwidth usage of database replication
Date
List pgsql-general
Sascha Zenglein wrote on 11/2/22 7:56 AM:
Hi all,

I want to use the postgres-native logical replication to have multiple clients receive and send data to a central database.
Real-time is far less important than network usage, and with my current test setup it appears both instances communicate frequently if a subscription is active, even if nothing is happening.

Is there a good way to reduce data usage, for example by limiting the amount of keep-alive messages? One database will likely be idle most of the time.

I estimated the current solution to idle at around 1.4MiB per day. Ideally it would use less than 100KiB a day.

I'm also open for other solutions if anything comes to mind!

It sounds like you are trying to use logical replication to give yourself a multi-master database setup, and that you've squeezed as much optimization as you can from logical replication and found it to be unworkable. If that's a fair assessment, you might look into something like bucardo instead. I haven't done the network comparison but it is a different solution that might meet your goals.