pgAdmin complains about vacuuming required after fresh 8.1 install - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Collin Peters
Subject pgAdmin complains about vacuuming required after fresh 8.1 install
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all - I am wondering if I can get a consensus on what to do about
this minor issue.  I have looked through the archives and can't find a
definitive answer.

So I have a new 8.1 install on Linux (have not yet been able to
upgrade to 8.3).  The documentation say that autovacuum is enabled by
default in 8.1 and sure enough I see messages in the logs that
autovacuum is "processing database "postgres"", etc...

In my postgresql.conf I see 'autovacuum = on', 'stats_start_collector
= on', and 'stats_row_level = on'

However, despite all this pgAdmin still gives me messages on certain
tables recommending a vacuum to be run.  I see some messages saying
that you need to run a VACUUM ANALYZE every week or night to 'make
sure things are up to date', but then in the commits I see a comment:
"Update documentation to mention that autovacuum also does analyze so
we don't need to recommend nightly analyzes anymore unless autovacuum
is off."

So I am looking for the definitive answer on this.  Is pgAdmin wrong
and I should ignore the messages?  Is autovacuum not fully running?
Do they just have different threshold values and pgadmin is a bit
pickier?

Regards,
Collin