Insert into VIEW using RULE. Not possible to use nextval()? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Collin Peters
Subject Insert into VIEW using RULE. Not possible to use nextval()?
Date
List pgsql-sql
I am having the same problem that is documented elsewhere in the
archives.  Namely when you have a INSERT RULE on a VIEW the nextval()
function doesn't behave properly (or it doesn't behave how I'd like it
to).

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-sql/2003-07/msg00333.php

I'm wondering if anything has changed for this in regards to best
practices?  Suggested solutions are to change to a trigger or use
currval() for your secondary INSERTS inside the RULE.

A trigger does not apply to my case as I am basically using this as a
shortcut to manually doing two INSERTs.  Is there any problems with
using the currval() approach?  If I use that within the same call is
there any chance of that not returning the correct value? (e.g. if
this INSERT RULE is being called a 1000 times at once, is it
guaranteed to be correct?

Another option I see is to place the INSERT inside a LOOP.  For
example instead of:
INSERT INTO     user_activity_single(user_activity_id, activity_date,
user_activity_type_id, user_activity_action_id, user_id,  div1)
SELECT        nextval('user_activity_user_activity_id_seq'), etc....

have:

FOR mviews IN      SELECT nextval('user_activity_user_activity_id_seq') as id,
CURRENT_DATE, 1, 2, 27, 'foo'
LOOP   INSERT INTO     user_activity_single(mviews.id, etc...)
END LOOP;

Performance wise this doesn't seem as good.  In my case the SELECT
statement would be around 4000 records.

Any tips for me?

Regards,
Collin Peters