Re: bytea or large objects? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Wilson
Subject Re: bytea or large objects?
Date
List pgsql-general
Howard Cole wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am going to create binary objects in a database which are compressed
> eml files (1K - 10 Mbytes in size). Am I better using the bytea or large
> objects?
>
> Is there still an issue with backup and restore of databases using large
> objects with pg_dump/restore?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Howard Cole
> www.selestial.com

I've just re-written our Whitebeam code to drop large-objects in favour of BYTEA fields.

All the old problems of large objects in backups exist, but the killer for us was that none of the current replication
systems,at least that I could
find, would replicate large objects. This became a mandatory requirements for us.

I'd have to have a *very* good reason to use large objects over BYTEA now.

Pete
--
http://www.whitebeam.org
http://www.yellowhawk.co.uk