Re: [HACKERS] Add support for tuple routing to foreign partitions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Etsuro Fujita
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Add support for tuple routing to foreign partitions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2017/08/19 2:12, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 4:27 AM, Etsuro Fujita
> <fujita.etsuro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> I think that would be much more efficient than INSERTing tuples into the
>> remote server one by one.  What do you think about that?
>
> I agree, but I wonder if we ought to make it work first using the
> existing APIs and then add these new APIs as an optimization.

I'm not sure that's a good idea because that once we support INSERT
tuple-routing for foreign partitions, we would have a workaround: INSERT
INTO partitioned_table SELECT * from data_table where data_table is a
foreign table defined for an input file using file_fdw.

> postgres_fdw isn't the only FDW in the world, and it's better if
> getting a working implementation doesn't require too many interfaces.

Agreed.  My vote would be to leave the COPY part as-is until we have
these new APIs.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita