Re: [BUGS] BUG #14885: mistake in sorting win1251 chars - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #14885: mistake in sorting win1251 chars
Date
List pgsql-bugs

On 11/02/2017 10:57 AM, k.daskalov.911@gmail.com wrote:

> Bug reference:      14885
> Logged by:          Kalin Daskalov
> Email address:      k.daskalov.911@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.4.4
> Operating system:   windows 7 64 bit
>
> I'm using ORDER BY <character varying field> containing win-1251 symbols.
> No matter whether the encoding is WIN1251 or UTF8.
> I try it on different versions of PostgreSQL - the result is the same.
> There is a mistake in sorted values for symbols "и" (и) and "й"
> (й) - capital letters too.
> Here is a small example:
> "АЙГЕР"
> "АИКО"
> "АЙКОН"

Encoding only defines how different characters are encoded, it has
nothing to do with ordering - that's what collations are for. What
lc_collate value are you using?

See https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/collation.html

cheers