Re: Uploading and loading - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Jeff Eckermann
Subject Re: Uploading and loading
Date
List pgsql-novice
"Sean" <scene@themountainscene.com> wrote in message
> So far I've been relegated to phpPgAdmin to upload my data, but it has
> size limits, which I am exceeding.  So I was told to ftp the backup
> files, and use PuTTY, which I've been trying to do.  I'm getting
> connected, but don't know what to do next.  None of the postgreSQL

I assume that you have a shell account on the server, and that you have a
command prompt?  Check out the manual, Reference -> PostgreSQL Client
Applications.  The primary application that you are interested in will be
"psql", which can be used interactively, or invoked from the OS command
line.  Perhaps interactive is alround most useful, because the other client
applications have equivalents in SQL.  But the ability to invoke these
applications from the command line makes them capable of being scripted,
which will enable you to automate routine functions, especially those to do
with data loading.