Re: simple division - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: simple division
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/4/18 12:29 PM, Martin Mueller wrote:

I have asked this question before and apologize for not remembering it.  How do you do simple division in postgres and get 10/4 with decimals?

This involves cast and numeric in odd ways that are not well explained in the documentation. For instance, you’d expect an example in the Mathematical Functions. But there isn’t.

The documentation of string functions is exemplary. The documentation of mathematical less so. Remember that it may be used by folks like me whose math is shaky. The MySQL documentation is better on this simple operation.

I may be misunderstanding the question but:

select cast(x/y as numeric(10,4));

JD

-----

Martin Mueller
Professor emeritus of English and Classics

Northwestern University

***  A fault and talent of mine is to tell it exactly how it is.  ***
PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****