Correct update statement - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Khangelani Gama
Subject Correct update statement
Date
List pgsql-general

Hi

Please help, we are using postgreSQL 9.2.4. I need to  update over 9000 rows. See the query below: A table called contact has got addr_id field as null which is incorrect. So now I need to update contact table for each account (cus_acno is in cus table) where contact_addr_id is null. For example using the first of the results below: I need take set addr_id (in contact table)  to 187479 where cus_acno = 243492 and con_id = 119360

Example:

select distinct(cus_acno), contact.con_id, address.addr_id from address join person using (addr_id) join  cus using (per_id) join link_contact using (cus_acno) join contact using (con_id) where contact.addr_id is null;
 cus_acno | con_id | addr_id
----------+--------+---------
   243492 | 119360 |  187479
   393701 | 119824 |  458532
   388538 | 118413 |  453178

Thanks

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
The contents of and attachments to this e-mail are intended for the addressee only, and may contain the confidential
information of Argility (Proprietary) Limited and/or its subsidiaries. Any review, use or dissemination thereof by anyone
other than the intended addressee is prohibited.If you are not the intended addressee please notify the writer immediately
and destroy the e-mail. Argility (Proprietary) Limited and its subsidiaries distance themselves from and accept no liability
for unauthorised use of their e-mail facilities or e-mails sent other than strictly for business purposes.