TODO: Expose parser support for decoding unicode escape literals to user - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject TODO: Expose parser support for decoding unicode escape literals to user
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all

I just noticed a Stack Overflow question
(http://stackoverflow.com/q/20124393/398670) where someone's asking how
to decode '\u0000` style escapes *stored in database text fields* into
properly encoded text strings.

The parser supports this for escape-strings, and you can write E'\u011B'
to get 'ě' because of
http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/Unicode-escapes-in-literals-td1992313.html.

I don't see this exposed in a way that users can call directly, though.
'decode(bytea, text)' has the 'escape' input, but it expects octal.

It's possible to use PL/PgSQL's 'EXECUTE' to use the parser to do the
work, but that's downright awful.

Am I missing something obvious, or is this something that'd be a good
new-developer TODO?