Re: Index question on postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Index question on postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:04 PM, akp geek <akpgeek@gmail.com> wrote:
> the explain from both enviroments ??? need to be posted.
> just one quick question. Why would the index I have created not being used?
> Regards

Better explain analyze than plain eplain.
If the retrieval of data by seq scan is deemed "cheaper" than index
acces by postgresql's rather impressive planner system then a seq scan
is chosen.  There are many methods for joining and so on, so picking
the right one can give you much better speed than a simple nested loop
only planner etc.

You might want to attach the query plans as a text file to preserve format.