Re: Counts and percentages and such - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Counts and percentages and such
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
> jackassplus wrote on 08.12.2009 22:21:
>>
>> What does ::numeric signify?
>> I'm using the jdbc driver from http://jdbc.postgresql.org/ in SQuirreL
>> and it asks me for the value of :numeric.
>
> As Scott has pointed out this is a typecast.
> If Squirrel mistakes that for a parameter, it's clearly a bug in Squirrel.
> But maybe that prompting for parameters can be turned off somewhere (I don't
> use Squirrel, so I cannot tell)

My experience with Squirrel was that it worked fine for very simple
queries, and as soon as you got outside the box it started doing the
stuff the OP is seeing.  For postgresql the preferred GUI is pgadmin
III, but psql is the best text only interface for a db on the planet.