Re: Auto Vacuum Daemon - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Auto Vacuum Daemon
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 5:46 AM,  <A.Bhattacharya@sungard.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am using Postgres 8.3.5 on windows and was using manually VACCUM and
> ANALYZE commands in my scripts but now I have turned on the AutoVaccum
> daemon by changing the postgresql conf file.
>
> Is it fine to do that or should we manually perform vacuum and analyze.
>
> Will it automatically take care of vacuuming the tables and analyzing them?
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Most of the time autovacuum is fine and can handle all your vacuuming
and analyzing needs no problem.

However, on some very heavy traffic or large sized databases you may
need to tune it so that it keeps up with your needs.

On my production database servers I had to adjust a few settings to
make autovac more aggressive so that it wasn't falling behind.  On all
my other pg instances the default settings are just fine.