Re: Disable databse listing for non-superuser (\l) ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Disable databse listing for non-superuser (\l) ?
Date
Re: Disable databse listing for non-superuser (\l) ?
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Brian A.
Seklecki<lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org> wrote:
> All:
>
> Any suggestions on how-to, or comments on a potential NFR, to disable
> non-superuser's from viewing the database list via \l?

So, is this a misguided attempt at security through obscurity, or are
you looking at limiting the noise that users see when they look at
databases?  If it's for security through obscurity, I don't have any
real advice, as any changes to do that in a manner that really limits
the ability of the user to look up that data are likely to have
unintended negative consequences.

OTOH, if you just want to limit what folks see to make their life
easier, then I'd suggest making the changes in psql and change the
queries it uses to look up the databases the user has access to.