Re: How to check whether PostgreSQL server is up and running? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: How to check whether PostgreSQL server is up and running?
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Jan Muhammad <janmuhd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Got it working now, though after several searches and hit-n-trials....
>
> The problem was in my "/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf"; where it needed my
> machine's IP.
> Now got it working.
>
> But the real issue of service is not yet being recognized  with in the
> command:
> # service postgresql status
> postgresql: unrecognized service

Did you install postgresql as an RPM package?  The service command in
redhat is designed to work with /etc/init.d/ scripts that are
installed by proper rpm packages.  The service script that comes with
a source install is NOT designed to work properly with that specific
package.  If you want service to work properly, I'd recommend sticking
to the PGDG redhat packages, it makes life much easier, especially for
beginners.

Snip

> Have no idea what's wrong and where the problem is? Do I need to change/edit
> some of Environment variable settings or what? Or should I reinstall
> PostgreSQL with Yum?? Or should give up using PostgreSQL and switch to some
> other DB like MySQL etc... No idea what to do.....?

Yes install with yum or rpm.  If you want to have real fun, try
installing mysql from source.