Re: Is there a meaningful benchmark? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Is there a meaningful benchmark?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Will Rutherdale (rutherw)
<rutherw@cisco.com> wrote:
> I am *not* primarily interested in embedded, but I know people who are, and I have already compared with SQLite.
>
> My main point of concern right now is for more middle sized platforms (such as an average workstation), to be able to
answerthe question of how Postgres shows in transactions per second against another RDBMS or two.

Way back right after the earth's crust had cooled I deployed a
corporate intranet on pgsql 6.5.2.  I believe we had Wooly Mammoth for
dinner that night.  It took a fair bit of work to keep that machine
happy, and every new version was an eye opener in terms of
performance, reliability, and capability improvements.  By the time
8.0 came out I was more than prepared to use it for some pretty hefty
work.  Now that 8.3 is out and 8.4 is out, for any kind of
intermediate size application (thousands of users daily, hundreds of
gigs of data) I'll put PostgreSQL against any other DBMS and expect it
to do well.

Where I work now, we handle 1.5 million or so users, a large chunk of
which log in each day, several times a day.  We had to beef up our
servers to 8 core / 16 drive machines (two of them) to handle the load
reliably.  We have enough spare capacity to handle about 3 to 4 times
the number of users we now have.

You are far more likely to be bitten by lack of familiarity with ANY
db you choose, and the real issue will be support and training.
Oracle, Pgsql, DB2, Interbase / Firebird, MySQL w/ innodb can all
handle the kind of load you've kind of hand waved about here.  How
much money and time you'll spend setting them up, learning them,
supporting them, and using them will be far more important than
anything a benchmark is likely to tell you right now.