Re: rerunning ./configure - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: rerunning ./configure
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Carol Walter <walterc@indiana.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If I need to rerun configure what else do I have to do.  Do I have to run
> gmake uninstall? Do I have to run gmake distclean?  I've got a running
> version of 8.3.4 (on Solaris 10) but I have to reconfigure so postgres will
> know where the openssl bits are.

Due to some possibility of cached configure output, I always run make
distclean first and start over.  Back in the day of 386-dx40s when
running ./configure took 30 minutes and building postgresql took
another 1.5 hours, I would work harder to avoid doing that, but
nowadays, given how fast a clean build can run, it's no great loss.

I keep a copy of all the switches I use in a file called
configure.local or something like that that I can put into svn and
check out when I need to build an exact copy.  On the rare occasions a
packaged pgsql isn't good enough.