Re: two postgres server seeing the same data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: two postgres server seeing the same data
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Jaime Casanova
<jcasanov@systemguards.com.ec> wrote:
> ok... actually i see no real value in that config (create a single
> point of contention) but everyone that has used (or at least read
> about) oracle think is the best thing to do...

Having dealth with RAC, I can safely say that the application points
for such a cluster are really pretty narrow, and often it's far
cheaper and easier to solve such a problem by just buying a bigger
pair of servers and replicating them than to use the shared storage
method.  I've seen plenty of problems with RAC, especially on linux,
having much worse performance than the two big server setup.

Plus, given the cost of Oracle RAC licenses, you can build a couple of
pretty farking huge pg servers.