Re: restored over postgres database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: restored over postgres database
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Kevin Duffy <KD@wrinvestments.com> wrote:
> Hello:
>

> On a newly installed PostgreSQL server I made the mistake of restoring over
> the postgres database.
>
> Which I made me feel very silly and brought up a couple of questions.
>

> a)       What is the postgres database used for?

By default, nothing usually.  Whatever you're using it for is usually it.

> b)       How can I restore the postgres database to a pristine state?

shut down postgres
delete everything in the $PGDATA directory (or whatever comes after -D
when it starts up)
run initdb
start postgres

All should now be clean and fresh.