Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?
Date
Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> "Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
>> Sounds kinda hand wavy to me.  If compressed file systems didn't give
>> you back what you gave them I couldn't imagine them being around for
>> very long.
>
> I don't know, NFS has lasted quite a while.
>
> So you tell me, I write 512 bytes of data to a compressed filesystem, how does
> it handle the torn page problem? Is it going to have to WAL log all data
> operations again?

What is the torn page problem?  Note I'm no big fan of compressed file
systems, but I can't imagine them not working with databases, as I've
seen them work quite reliably under exhange server running a db
oriented storage subsystem.  And I can't imagine them not being
invisible to an application, otherwise you'd just be asking for
trouble.