Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?
Date
Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> "Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm sure this makes for a nice brochure or power point presentation,
>> but in the real world I can't imagine putting that much effort into it
>> when compressed file systems seem the place to be doing this.
>
> I can't really see trusting Postgres on a filesystem that felt free to
> compress portions of it. Would the filesystem still be able to guarantee that
> torn pages won't "tear" across adjacent blocks? What about torn pages that
> included hint bits being set?

I can't see PostgreSQL noticing it. PostgreSQL hands the OS a 512byte
block, the OS compresses it and it's brethren as the go to disk,
uncompresses as they come out, and as long as what you put in is what
you get back it shouldn't really matter.