Re: ideal server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: ideal server
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Martin Gainty <mgainty@hotmail.com> wrote:
> non-existent and/or improper DB design can impede your progress
>
> You'll need to get stats pack configured, run explain plain on your selects
> determine which columns you will to need to index..

I think you're confusing oracle and pgsql a bit there.  But yeah, he
needs to get all the stats collection stuff running and he should
consider a migration to 8.3 if he's not already there.  At least 8.2
where current_query in the pg_stats_activity table is very cheap and
can be turned on without slowing down an already slow server.

-- When fascism comes to America, it will be draped in a flag and
carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis